Renew or vary a mining licence

A mining licence gives the licence holder the sole right to mine for specified minerals. The information below describes how to renew or vary your mining licence.

+ Expand all- Collapse all

When applying to renew a mining licence, you need to:

  • be mining; or
  • have mined and will restart mining.

You need to apply for a licence renewal before it's due to expire. The mining licence continues until the application is approved and registered; or refused.

Detailed information on what you need to include in your application is available in the Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) (Mineral Industries) Regulations 2019.

Apply for a mining licence renewal using the Resource Rights Allocation and Management (RRAM) portal.

Give written notice to stakeholders

You need to give written notice to the owner/occupier within 14 days of applying to renew a mining licence.

If the land affected is for Crown land, you need to give a copy of the notice to the Planning Officer in the appropriate regional office of the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.

In this case, 'land affected' means land that the licencee (licence holder) needs to enter. This includes the land surface and the land to a depth of 100 metres.


Your application should include annual costs and profit plus technical reports of exploration activities.

As part of this process, you may need to supply a new work plan; and we may review your rehabilitation bond.

An application to renew a mining licence may be refused if the licensee (licence holder) hasn't given us enough information.

To transfer a licence you need to submit a licence transfer form (WORD - 91.9 KB) .

  1. Download the licence transfer form.
  2. Fill in the form.
  3. Print the form.
  4. Sign the form.
  5. Scan or take a clear photo of the completed form.
  6. Login to RRAM and submit the form as an attachment.

To surrender a licence please send us the following information:

  • Licence number
  • Reason for surrender
  • Signatures of all licensees.

If the licence is held by a company, please submit your request using an official company email or letterhead.

Send your surrender request to

Submit your application online

You can submit and manage most minerals licence or work authority applications and variations online using our Resources Rights Allocation and Management (RRAM) portal.

Login to RRAM

If you are unsure of your RRAM login details, contact RRAM support.

If you are unable to access RRAM you can download the relevant form from the licence forms page.

Page last updated: 12 Apr 2024