Manage your licence or work authority

Earth Resources Regulation office at 1 Spring Street will be closed to the public until further notice. We encourage you to submit any applications or variations online via the Resource Rights Allocation and Management (RRAM) portal.

We are experiencing a high volume of applications and enquiries. This may result in longer than usual processing times. We appreciate your patience as our team implements changes to manage the demand and improve processing times.

Please help us to manage the workload by avoiding phoning the team directly and where possible, email licensing enquiries to

Coronavirus (COVID-19) relief - variations to mineral licence conditions

Resource Rights Allocation and Management (RRAM) portal

You can submit and manage most licence or work authority applications online using our Resource Rights Allocation and Management (RRAM) portal.

RRAM allows you to manage your licence applications, renewals and fee payments online. You can submit a work plan or report, and check the progress of an application.

Before using RRAM for the first time, you will need to create an account.

If you are unsure of your RRAM login details, email

A series of videos have been created to assist users with the RRAM portal, including how to register, how to update contact details and how to approve or decline a new contact. For more information, refer to our list of RRAM tutorial videos.

Licence types

+ Expand all- Collapse all

An exploration licence gives the licence holder exclusive rights to explore for specific minerals within the specified licence area.

No mining activities can be undertaken on an exploration licence.

A retention licence is suitable where a mineral resource is identified but the resource is not yet commercially viable to mine but may become so in the future. Or the resource is required to support an existing mining operation in the future.

A mining licence holder is entitled to mine the land covered by the licence; explore for minerals and construct mining facilities related to the mining operation.

Prospecting licences allow prospectors and small-scale miners to explore or mine in an area less than 5 hectares.

In the extractive or quarry industry, a licence is known as a work authority. You need a work authority before starting works at a quarry.

A Miner's Right is used for hobbyist prospectors and fossickers to search for minerals, similar to a fishing licence.

Oil and gas permits are only offered through a State Government Tender process.

Geothermal exploration permits are only offered through a State Government Tender process.

RRAM portal terminlogy

The Resource Rights Allocation and Management (RRAM) portal uses a number of terms that are specific to the earth resources industry and to the administration of earth resources in Victoria. View a list of terms that commonly appear in RRAM.

Contact us

Get in touch via email if you have any questions about RRAM.

For technical RRAM support, including account enquiries, contact RRAM Support.


If you are unable to access RRAM, forms are available to apply for new permits and make changes to current permits.

Page last updated: 11 Apr 2024